DEADLINE: April 29, 2012
MOONROOT is looking for submissions to y/our second issue! And, out of a desire to build this radical and loving community, we are asking YOU to submit your heart, your stories, your love and your aches.
WHO WE ARE:
MOONROOT is an ongoing collective project about race, gender, and bodies. It is an evolving experiment in deep, loving community-building among self-identified womyn, trans*, and/or genderqueer persons of Asian descent (whether East Asian, South Asian, Pacific Islander, Southeast Asian, Central Asian, West Asian, hapa or mixed) living in diaspora, across borders and geographies. We believe that because our multiple and intersecting identities often render us invisible and misrepresented (even within our own communities), reclaiming our voices is a radical act of love and recognition.
We gravitated to each other to produce the first issue of MOONROOT in Fall 2011, which made its debut at the Baltimore Zine Bazaar. MOONROOT is a physical object, but most importantly, it is a community. We are building a visible, beautiful, and organic family.
OUR THEME for issue two is moonroutes. Possible topics to explore may include:
- geographical and/or historical happenings
- place / space
- body as a landscape
- reincarnations / past lives
- diaspora / migrations / borderlands / uprooting
- queering the diaspora
- displacing biological notions of blood, home, and patrilineal descent
- movements / moments / motions
- historical memory / mind pathways
- home / belonging / origins
- thoughts on future lives
- shifting relationships to our identities / our identity journeys!!!!
- transformations / liminality
- relationships of the colonized and colonizer within a body/bodies
- where we want to go / our imagined and desired futures
- the racialization of space
- confinement / barriers to movement
- education and class mobility
- anticolonial temporalities
- circular patterns in histories
- resisting / changing harmful patterns & uncovering life-giving ones
- migration by moonlight / cycles / nocturnal migrations
- the mystery of the unknown through the lens of the past and present
- perpetual foreigner myth
- MOONROOT is exclusively by/for womyn, genderqueer, and trans* folks of Asian descent; we ask that submissions speak from the experiences of people who self-identify.
- This will be a half-size zine. Submissions should be 1-4 half-pages.
- Along with your submission, please include a brief bio and contact information; submissions can also be made anonymously.
- MOONROOT views editing as an act of love. Our crew will go through a consensus-based editorial process. If you send us a submission, we will be in touch with you to let you know if we have selected your piece, along with suggested edits.
- We welcome all kinds of submissions. Text-based submissions should be in .doc, .rtf, or .txt format, and artistic submissions should be 300-600 dpi .tiff or .pdf files. For all submissions,make sure each page is 5.5” x 8.5” (half letter).
- Please send submissions by email to moonrootzine (at) gmail (dot) com with the subject line “SUBMISSION - [your name OR title of piece]”. If you have questions about format or if an email submission is not possible, please contact us.
**NOTE**: We are committed to creating a safe/r space for all people who identify as womyn, genderqueer, and / or trans* and of Asian descent. Because of this, we hold anti-oppression at the center of our intentions. We ask that submitters commit to being mindful of language and content and its impact on all marginalized / oppressed identities and experiences. If you are unsure about something in your piece or have questions about what anti-oppression means, feel free to contact us with well thought-out questions.
MORE DETAILS: Please visit http://moonroot.tumblr.com. To see an example of our first issue, please visit http://issuu.com/moonrootzine/docs/moonroot.
QUESTIONS? Email moonrootzine (at) gmail (dot) com